By: Jonesborough Genealogical Society
Jacob Gordon Brown was born October 17, 1779 in Tennessee. His father was Colonel Jacob Brown, of the famed Brown Settlement of earliest Tennessee days, and who is believed to have come into East Tennessee from North Carolina in 1772 to establish trade with the Indians. His mother, was Sarah Sevier, daughter of John Sevier.
Jacob Gordon Brown married about 1825 to Margaret McSpadden, born August 13, 1809. She was the daughter of Robert & Jane McSpadden. Jacob Gordon Brown died June 6, 1888 & Margaret McSpadden Brown died October 6, 1887. They are both buried in the Weslyan Cemetery, Bradley County, Tennessee. (This cemetery is very near the Whitfield County line, just north of Cohutta, GA).
A.. Lucinda M. Brown was born March 28, 1826 in Monroe County, TN and died in Bradley County, TN., July 24, 1897. She was married August 19, 1841 in Monroe County, TN to James Patton Taylor. James was born April 22, 1822 and died January 30, 1899. They are buried in the Taylor Cemetery, Bradley County, TN. Children of James and Lucinda were:
- Rev. William Leroy Taylor, February 14, 1843/1919. Married first on January 12, 1865 to Nancy Chapman, and second to Gertrude Dantzler. There was one son, Isaac Taylor.
- Mary Keziah Taylor, born December 11, 1844, married September 23, 1866 to Jeremiah Robinson. Mary died early and Jeremiah remarried. Molly Roberts took the child, Lou Robinson. Molly later left her a home and trust fund.
- Isaac Jefferson Taylor, September 28, 1846/1871 married December 6, 1870 to Amanda Mitchell. A son, William, died age 20.
- Margaret Evaline Taylor, married September 23, 1869 to Samuel Smith. They lived in Freedonia, Kansas and had five children.
- John D. Taylor, born April 27, 1852.
- Thomas Clark Taylor, born June 14, 1854/1927, married Amanda Carolina McSpadden (not my line).
- Wesley S. Taylor, October 20, 1857ca. 1925, married February 6, 1879 to Annie Frazier.
- Tabitha J. Taylor, born October 20, 1857, twin of Wesley, died young.
- Andrew Jackson Taylor, February 26, 1861/December 4, 1938, married 1887 to Sarah Emmaline McSpadden (not my line).
- Sarah Emmaline McSpadden married to Andrew Jackson Taylor #9 above.
- James Franklin Taylor, born December 12, 1864, died young.
B. John G. Brown, born July 24, 1841, died June 17, 1862, apparently unmarried and is buried with his parents in the Weslyan Cemetery, Bradley County, TN.
C. Mary Jane “Molly” Brown, born August 22, 1844, died May 21, 1924, married September 16, 1865 to James Spurgeon Roberts, in Bradley County, TN J.S. Roberts was born May 4, 1841, died September 16, 1919. An infant son is buried in Weslyan (no name marker) and a daughter, Clementine “Clemmie”, born August 16, 1866, died March 18, 1891, unmarried, is buried with her parents.
Jacob and Margaret Brown also had another son, born between Lucinda and John, who also died young. There were, more than likely, other children born to them, but I have no further record.
I am descended from Stewart McSpadden, a brother of Margaret McSpadden Brown. by: Marcelle Coker White, Dalton, GA.