Short Term Goals (1-5 years)
- Oral History Project- Strengthen Relationship with Storytelling Initiative
- Collection- Strengthen Relationship with Library Director, Staff, & Board of Trustees
- Increase Participation/ membership
- Membership- Grow local membership to 50 regularly attending meetings
- Find a Meeting Space for Future Meetings
- Increase Community Engagement & Relationships with other organizations and the Town of Jonesborough
- Increase Youth Participation through possible scholarship and working with local History Teachers
- Website- Strengthen website and resources as well as social media presence, possible new website created and maintained by professional organization
- Early Settlers Project- Sell remaining 230 books, increase Certificate Program participation
- Vertical Files Project- Complete Scanning & Indexing
- Surname Project- Complete database & Indexing
- Treasury- Create, manage, and maintain a budget that serves the needs of the society
Long Term Goals (6-15 years)
- Collection- More Space, Grant Writing, Written Plans, Compromise/Agreements
- Keeping Members participating & engaged in Society Functions
- Completing, Publishing, and Selling all three Early Settlers Volumes and Project
- Vertical Files Project- Include new info and continue additions
- Surname Project- include new info and vertical files index
- Mission Statement
- Vision Statement
- Connects to Mission Statement
- Connects with Goals
- Policy JGS-Washington County- Jonesborough Library
- Library Committee
- Written Documents
- Meeting with Library Director, Staff, and Board
- Long-Term Goals (6-15 yrs.)
- Short-Term Goals (1-5 yrs.)
Mission Statement: To promote, study, preserve, and document the family heritages of Jonesborough, Washington County, and Northeast Tennessee.
Vision Statement: Grow the Jonesborough Genealogical Society through community and membership engagement with the development of programming, relationships, and resources that allow the society to promote, study, preserve, and document the family heritages of Jonesborough, Washington County, and Northeast Tennessee.
Constitution and Bylaws
Amended and Approved on July 28, 2018
CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
Jonesborough Genealogical Society
Article I. NAME
Section 1. The name of the organization shall be Jonesborough Genealogical Society, hereafter referred to as JGS.
Article II. MISSION STATEMENT
Section 1. To promote, study, preserve, and document the family heritages of Jonesborough, Washington County and Northeast Tennessee.
Article III. OBJECTIVES
Section 1. To develop an outstanding genealogical and historical research center as a section of the Washington County – Jonesborough Library and the Washington County Archives.
Section 2. To promote the collection and preservation of all records pertaining to Northeast Tennessee with special emphasis on Washington County.
Section 3. To promote the exchange of data and serve as a network center for bringing together those with common interests.
Section 4. To instruct members in the techniques of genealogical research.
ARTICLE IV. “ORGANIZATIONAL TEST FOR EXEMPTION UNDER SECTION 501(C)(3) OF THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE OF 1986”
Section 1. “The organization is organized exclusively for charitable, religious, educational and/or scientific purposes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code/
Section 2. “No part of the net earnings of the corporation shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, trustees, directors, or other private persons, except that the corporation shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the exempt purposes (charitable, educational, religious and/or scientific). No substantial part of the activities of the corporation shall the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the corporation shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publication or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of or in oppositions to any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provisions of these articles, the corporation shall not carry on any other activities not permitted to be carried on (1) by a corporation exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future tax code, or (b) by a corporation, contributions to which are deductible under section 170(c)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future tax code.”
Article V. MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Membership is open to all persons interested in the preceding objectives.
Section 2. Membership in the JGS is either Individual Membership or Family Membership.
Section 3. Dues for the Individual Membership and Family Membership will be set by the Board of Directors at the first board meeting of each year.
Article VI. BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1. The Board of Directors shall be made up of, but need not be limited to, the six elected officers of JGS and five members of the JGS. All members of the Board of Directors will be elected in even number years by majority vote of membership at the annual meeting.
Section 2. During the Interim between meetings of JGS, the Board shall have all necessary power and authority, consistent with the Constitution and By-Laws, over the affairs of the society.
Section 3. The activities and funds for each project are to be approved by the Board.
Article VII. OFFICERS
Section 1. The officers of JGS shall be President, 1st Vice-President, 2nd Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 2. The term of office shall be two years.
Section 3. Officers shall be elected at the annual meeting (April) of the membership, in even numbered years. A majority of votes of the members present is necessary to elect. If additional directors have been added they will be nominated and elected at this same time.
Section 4. Officers will begin their terms May 1, in even numbered years.
Section 5. Any officer who misses three consecutive Board of Directors meetings, that is unexcused absences, may be replaced by appointment of the Board of Directors.
Section 6. Officers are expected to attend Society functions including, but not limited to, Genealogy Days, Business Meetings, etc. Any officers who does not attend at least five Society functions within the fiscal year can be replaced by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
Section 7. Vacancies, other than President, shall be filled by appointment of the Board of Directors.
Section 8. Vacancy of the office of President shall by filled by nomination and vote of the members present at the next meeting following the vacancy. The 1st Vice President shall assume the responsibilities of the President during the time between the start of the vacancy and the election of the new President.
Article VIII. DUTIES OF OFFICERS
Section 1. The President shall preside at all meetings of the society and of the Board of Directors; call special meetings of the society and board when necessary; be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee; select a chairperson for all committees other than Program and Membership; appoint all committees not otherwise provided for; and sign all checks in the absence of the Treasurer.
Section 2. The 1st Vice President shall preside in the absence of the President; be responsible for programs at monthly meetings; see that the Johnson City and Jonesborough newspapers are notified of the meetings; and be the liaison person between the project leaders and the Board.
Section 3. The 2nd Vice President shall be responsible for Membership Services, and as such, shall keep an up-to-date roster of members of the society; and send new members an information letter.
Section 4. The Secretary shall keep a minute book of proceedings of the society; have custody of the Constitution and By-Laws and other important society documents; and conduct the business correspondence of the society and maintain the copies.
Section 5. The Treasurer shall receive and be responsible for all dues and other funds received by the society; keep accurate records thereof; deposit funds in the bank or other financial institution approved by the Board; pay bills and make purchases in accordance with procedures approved by the Board; make a financial report at each Board and business meeting; notify members who are in arrears in dues; and assist the 2nd Vice President in keeping a roster of members.
Section 6. All officers are authorized to get the mail pertaining to their job description.
Section 7. Each officer shall deliver not later than June 30 of each year all records and property of JGS in his or her custody to the Washington County – Jonesborough Library.
ARTICLE IX. ADOPTION, AMENDMENTS, AND REVISIONS
Section 1. This Constitution shall be considered adopted and in immediate effect by two-thirds vote of the JGS members at the annual meeting.
Section 2. This Constitution may be amended, revised, or repealed by a two-thirds vote of the members present at any Annual Meeting of the JGS membership; provided, however that such proposed amendment, revision, or repeal must be given in writing to the secretary and shall be presented to the membership of the JGS at least thirty days prior to the Annual Meeting.
Article X. Dissolution
Section 1. If the Jonesborough Genealogical Society ceases operation, funds in the treasury, after all outstanding debts have been paid, shall be used to purchase genealogical books and materials for the Washington County – Jonesborough Library or the Washington County Archives.
Section 2. “Upon the dissolution of the organization, assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose.”(“organizational test for exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986”)
Article I. MEETINGS
Section 1. Jonesborough Genealogical Society “Hall of Fame” annual meeting.
- The “Hall of Fame” meeting will be a time to induct those who have been nominated into the JGS “Hall of Fame”.
- Those who have gone above and beyond in their contributions in the preservation and research of the historical documents of Jonesborough and Washington County will be inducted into the JGS “Hall of Fame.” After receiving nominations from the membership, the “Hall of Fame” committee will nominate those to be inducted.
- The Board of Directors shall approve the “Hall of Fame” nomination(s) by their March meeting.
- The “Hall of Fame” meeting will be held on the 4th Saturday of the month of April. At 9:30 a.m. brunch will be served and the “Hall of Fame” meeting begins at 10:00 a.m. Unless otherwise decided by the Board of Directors.
- The JGS “Hall of Fame” plaque will be placed in the Genealogical Section of the Washington County – Jonesborough Library.
Section 2. “Genealogical Day” at the Washington County – Jonesborough Library (4th Saturday).
- “Genealogical Day” at the library shall be held the months of January through October on the 4th Saturday, if the library is open.
- “Genealogical Day” is a time to instruct members in the techniques of genealogical research, to help others with their genealogical projects, to work on library projects for the genealogical section of the library, to work on our own genealogical projects, or to do other projects.
Section 3. Jonesborough Genealogical Society Business meetings.
- The Annual Meeting of the JGS will be held at the “Hall of Fame” meeting in April.
- Business Meetings will be held on “Genealogical Day” as designated by the Board of Directors or at the call of the President.
Section 4. Board of Directors meeting
- The Board of Directors shall meet quarterly and at such times, at the call of the President, as may be necessary.
- A meeting can be held by electronic means including, but not limited to, email, phone, etc.
Article II. DUES
Section 1. The fiscal and membership year of JGS shall be May 1 through April 30.
Section 2. The annual dues for membership shall be determined each year by a vote of the Board of Directors in regular business session.
Section 3. Annual dues are payable on or before May 1. Members failing to pay dues within thirty days of the due date shall be declared not in good standing. Members who fail to pay their dues by August 1 will be declared not a member of the society and will be removed from the membership list for that fiscal year. Members can be reinstated at any time, as long as dues are paid and anew membership application is submitted to the treasurer.
Section 4. Any person joining on or after March 1 need not pay dues for the current fiscal year.
Article III. JGS INTERNET WEBPAGE
Section 1. The JGS will have and maintain an internet web page.
Section 2. The Web Page will be an informative page containing information about the JGS like the officers, a calendar of events, articles, messages, etc. and containing information about the historic records of Washington County and Jonesborough.
Section 3. The web page will have the JGS surname register. Members of JGS will have the option of adding their name, address and surnames to this register by submitting the Membership Publication Permission slip to the society.
Article IV. COMMITTEES
Section 1. Standing Committees shall consist of the Chairperson and any other JGS member(s) appointed by the Chairperson and approved by the Board of Directors. Other than the Program Committee and Membership Committee, Chairperson shall be appointed by the President. Every Standing Committee should meet at least one time during the year and the Chairperson should make an annual report to the Board of Directors at the next Board of Directors Meeting. A meeting can be held by electronic means including, but not limited to, email, phone, etc.
- The Program Committee shall consist of the President as Chairperson, the 1stVice President, and one other member appointed by such Chairperson and approved by the Board. This Committee shall be responsible for arranging and presenting programs at the regularly scheduled meetings and arranging for other events such as an open house, field trips, and workshops.
- The Membership Committee shall consist of the 2nd Vice President as Chairperson and at least two other members appointed by such Chairperson and approved by the Board. This Committee shall be responsible for recruiting potential members of the society; arranging the facilities for all activities of the society; introducing visitors at meetings; and registering all attendees.
- The Projects Committee shall consist of the 1st Vice President as Chairperson and at least two other members appointed by such Chairperson and approved by the Board. This committee shall be responsible for the project list of the society, set a project leader for each project of the society, and set goals each year for each project of the society. Also, this committee can create, eliminate, or inactivate any projects on the project list with the approval of the Board.
- The Board of Directors may establish other standing committees as the need arises.
Section 2. Temporary Committees
- The Nominating committee shall consist of a Chairperson and two other members appointed by the President no later than the February meeting in even numbered years. At the following April meeting the Committee shall submit the name of at least one nominee for each elective position. Additional nominations may be made from the floor.
- The JGS “Hall of Fame” Committee appointed by the President shall consist of a Chairperson and at least two other members appointed by the Chairperson and approved by the Board of Directors. This committee will be established no later than the December meeting of the Board of Directors every year. This committee will receive from the membership nominations of those who have gone above and beyond in their contributions in the preservation and research of the historical documents of Jonesborough and Washington County. From all of the nominations, then the “Hall of Fame” committee will present to the Board of Directors the one(s) who will be inducted into the JGS “Hall of Fame.” The Board of Directors at their discretion will have the option to approve the nomination(s) for the induction into the “Hall of Fame.”
- Ad Hoc and other special committees which from time to time the membership or Board may consider necessary may be appointed by the President.
Article V. PROJECTS
Section 1. The projects shall have a Leader or Leaders appointed by the Projects Committee and approved by the Board. When needing advice, funds, etc., the Leader shall consult with the lst Vice President who will function as the Leader’s “voice” to the Board of Directors.
Section 2. The Projects Committee can create, eliminate, or inactivate any projects with the approval of the Board
Article VI. ORDER OF BUSINESS
Section 1. Robert’s Rules of Order shall be the parliamentary authority to be followed in the meeting of JGS.
Section 2. The order of business at the annual meeting of JGS shall be as follows:
- Call of order
- Reading and approval of the minutes of the previous meeting
- Reports of officers and committee chairperson
- Old business
- New business
- Election of officers (annual meeting, even numbered years)
When someone donates their collection of genealogical – historical material to the Washington County Library, the Jonesborough Genealogical Society stands ready to do whatever needs to be done, that is within reason, to help in bringing this about. The Jonesborough Genealogical Society wants to work with the donor and the Washington County Library in getting their donation added to the genealogical collection of the library. If the JGS needs to work with the library in getting the “loose” documents worked into the vertical files, the JGS will help. If this material needs to be stored before it can be added to the genealogical section, the JGS will help in providing storage until the collection can be added to the library.
Website and Social Media Policy
Blog/Website Comment and Posting Policy
You are encouraged to share your comments, ideas, and concerns. The following policies apply to all blogs/ websites maintained by the Jonesborough Genealogical Society:
• These are moderated blogs/ websites, and JGS will only post comments from bloggers that relate to topics on specific blog/ website subject matter.
• JGS will review all comments before posting them.
• Your comments are welcome at any time. We intend to review and post comments submitted to our blog/website as soon as possible. We strive to respond to any questions as soon as possible.
• JGS will not post comments that contain abusive, vulgar, offensive, threatening or harassing language, personal attacks of any kind, or offensive terms that target specific individuals or groups.
• JGS will not post comments that are clearly off-topic, that promote services or products, or that promote or oppose any political party, person campaigning for elected office, or any ballot proposition.
• Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and may result in the comment being removed.
• Communications made through the blog/website’s email and messaging system will be responded to as soon as possible
• Personally identifiable information such as social security numbers, addresses and telephone numbers will be removed from comments by the moderators before they are posted.
• JGS does not discriminate against any views, but reserves the right not to post comments that do not adhere to these standards.
Facebook Comment and Posting Policy
You are encouraged to share your comments, ideas, and concerns. Please be aware of the following policies for the Jonesborough Genealogical Society’s Facebook page:
• JGS will only post comments from users that relate to topics on the specific fan page subject matter.
• JGS will delete comments that contain abusive, vulgar, offensive, threatening or harassing language, personal attacks of any kind, or offensive terms that target specific individuals or groups.
• JGS will delete comments that are clearly off-topic, that promote services or products, or that promote or oppose any political party, person campaigning for elected office, or any ballot proposition.
• Your comments are welcome at any time. We intend to moderate comments submitted as soon as possible.
• Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and may result in the comment being removed.
• Communications made via the Facebook page will be responded to as soon as possible
• The content of all comments is immediately released into the public domain, so do not submit anything you do not wish to be broadcast to the general public.
• Do not post personally identifiable information such as social security numbers, addresses and telephone numbers. Comments containing this information will be removed from the Facebook page wall.
• JGS does not discriminate against any views, but reserves the right to remove posted comments that do not adhere to these standards.